Zoo Community Forum & Zoo Writers’ Guild
Sign in to follow this  
silverwolf1

Fencing

silverwolf1    192

My horse fence, as I describe "Jakes" in the story "Stormy", is a three board fence, boards facing in, on 6x6 hardwood posts placed 8' on center and with one smooth, charged wire running along the top board. I use this fence as it has good strength against a spooked/ charging horse, is durable over time, stands up to these heavy snow winters, and is fairly easily maintained. The wire prevents pushing and deters cribbing.

What do you use and why?

ferritlove    16

I currently use 3 strand polywire - and it actually keeps goats in (after training them to electric).

Here's an extension question to Siverwolfs' original...  If I end up with an equine, is polytape a better bet than polywire? 

Thanks for any feedback.

egoldstein    37

I typically use just electric fence, but the new digs came with cattle panels deployed over some of the pasture. I don't think I'd repeat it myself, but it is handy though pricey.

silverwolf1    192
15 hours ago, ferritlove said:

I currently use 3 strand polywire - and it actually keeps goats in (after training them to electric).

Here's an extension question to Siverwolfs' original...  If I end up with an equine, is polytape a better bet than polywire? 

Thanks for any feedback.

In my experience the tape stretches and thus loosens more readily than the wire in talking poly. Both loosen more readily than plain heavy gauge wire, which I prefer over large expanses. JMO.

sw